Friday, October 30, 2009

Trick or Treat . . .

NOT that I condone overeating and the taking on of empty calories in a post-surgery life but - every now and again - a person's gotta' have a little sweetness in their life and that "now" and "again" happens to be Halloween, the weenest day of the year.

Here are my Top Ten Trick-or-Treat suggestions for GBers (in a not-so-particular order) . . .

10 - Sugar Free "hard" Caramel Apple Candy ordered from the World Wide Web.

9 - A nice cup of no-sugar added Mott's Granny Smith apple sauce with a few dashes of cinnamon that has been put in the freezer for 15 minutes before you eat it.

8 - Sugar Free Tootsie Rolls. No special instructions needed.

7 - Murray Sugar Free cookies. Pick a flavor. They are all delicious but PLEASE don't misunderstand. These things are not at ALL low-calorie. One serving. ONE serving. ONE SERVING!

6 - Sugar Free Baskin Robbins Hard Candy (Mint Chocolate Chip is my personal favorite)!

5 - A nice mug of warm, fat free milk with a few squirts of either sugar free B-52 or Peanut Butter or any other sugar free flavored syrup of your choice (the Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce syrup is a personal favorite if I'm in the world's largest (and fastest shrinking) coffee chain).

4 - Sugar Free Pudding. Specifically the Cinnamon Roll or the Chocolate Vanilla Swirl.
Yuhhhmay! You can also sub in sugar free Jello here but I was never really a jello person unless we are (were) talking Jello shots at which point . . . that is a whole other story.

3 - Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cups. It has been almost three years since I had any real quantity of sugar (incidental sugar is all I'll ever really allow myself) so I've forgotten what a lot of "real" sweet foods taste like but one taste that I know is not "right" is sugar free peanut butter cups. The sugar free chocolate just doesn't taste right against the peanut butter. And that is PERFECT because I'm not tempted to eat more than one sugar free peanut butter cup every blue moon (or so).

2 - A sliver of Sugar Free angel food cake with 1/3 of a banana, three (hundred) shakes of cinnamon, a squeeze of sugar free caramel sauce and a mini-dallop of light cool whip. I've never crunched the math on the calories (I'm sure it is not low-calorie and I don't know that I want to know how bad it really is). It is really decadent and delicious though.

1 - A handful of bing cherries. There is a new crop of research showing that cherries are the ultimate food (move over acai fruit, look out pomegranates, eat it soy, etc.) because of the anti-oxidants, the vitamins and the soothing qualities of the fruit (Joy is not a great sleeper and she settles better and gets more "quality" sleep when she has some cherry juice before bed). I never liked cherries. HATED them, actually but I've come to appreciate them in the last few months.

Please limit yourself to just one serving/portion of sugar free goodness this Halloween and please don't confuse this post as empowerment/enablement! There is little to no protein and some to lots of fat in some of these so they are largely "empty" calories and the levels of sugar alcohols can/will leave some of you feeling a little, uh, crampity down below. And there is no treat in that trick!

No comments: