Monday, July 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, Ava Grace . . .

Today, my dear, sweet Ava Grace turns THREE. It is so hard to believe that it has been three long years (and quite literally a lifetime - one that has JUST begun) since Joy and I drove, anxiously, to the hospital here in Wichita knowing that our wait to be a family was over and that our daughter was finally about to come in to our lives.

It is also hard to believe how different our life is today versus that day and how life just sort of has a way of taking its twists and turns and making you feel like a fool as soon as you feel like you've got it all figured out.

I won't get too sappy here, Biddlebops but please know that I love you and your Mommy more than I ever thought I could love a wife or a child (when I thought I had it all figured out by trying to spend my life blissfully alone) and I am so very grateful that you came in to our lives and, frankly, I'm glad you came in to our lives the way you did.

It was just one of the many, many moments of my life that has reminded me that I'm a fool and that I don't have it all figured out. I needed it and I am happy that we all beautifully survived the the first of the many twists and turns that will no doubt set the pace of our life as a family.

You're smart, kind, caring, imaginative and funny. I'm the lucky guy that gets your hugs and kisses and professions of love and affection. I'm a lucky guy. I'm a blessed man. I'm a fool. I'm blissfully happy in all of that - thanks to you and that lovely woman you call Mom(my)!

The day you were born . . .

The day you turned one . . .


The day you turned two . . .

The day you turned three (uh, today) . . .


No comments: