Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Walk-a-Thon. Again . . .

I marked my birthday last year by crossing off a goal of mine and doing a three mile walk around Wichita State University's beautiful campus (a very speedy walk too, if I do say so myself).  

I'm doing it again this year.  Saturday morning, June 13th.  The weather is supposed to be spotty here in the Wichi-Wichi all this week but I'm doing the walk no matter what (I'll just wear some of my old sneakers and embrace my inner "Flashdance" to let my moobs be, uh, "accentuated" by the downpour.  You've been warned, fellow people who walk for heart health!

Not that I've suddenly become the "picture of fitness and health" (more of a rough, crayon sketch) but - interestingly enough - a three-mile walk last year seemed like SO much walking and it was almost scary to think about. 

Now I'm walking/running three to four miles per day (most days (smile)) and am planning to run three miles a day by November.  Instead of being anxious I am thinking this is just one less day I have to walk on my stinking treadmill in our dark, semi-dank basement.  

Time to charge up the iPod and make a new mix!  Suggestions?  

3 comments:

John Deary said...

Hey Sean,

I am fresh off my 5K high and am starting to train for a marathon in October (or at least 1/2 if need be). One thing that I noticed in all the training programs I read is that you need to give your body time to rest.

Most recommend that you run every other day and then let your body rebuild on the off days. This will help keep you from overtraining.

I know, I can't believe I would ever be in a position to "over do it" either, but the fact is you're an athlete now.

John from Oakville

Sean C. Amore said...

Look at YOU in your race gear, John. That is wonderful. THANKS for the thoughts on the training and the time off. I PROMISE that I'm giving my body time to rest (smile). I am just excited - for the first time in my life - to be exercising and moving and I don't want to lose the momentum. Nor, I suppose, do I want to lose use of my knees, ankles or shins.

I'm so jealous you are looking at 13.1s and 26.2s. NOT that I want to run that far - but I want to have those sorts of goals to work towards!

Larraine said...

Congratulations! I'm having knee replacement surgery (both!) in July. I'm so excited about being able to walk long distances again. Good for you!