Friday, April 10, 2009

They're Heeeeeereeee . . .

My parents are in town. They got in Tuesday night. We are really enjoying their visit (as we always do) and I meant to post earlier in the week but things got a little crazy so - here is a brief update on what we have been up to with Gamma and Gampa Amo since they hit town.

TUESDAY - I picked my parents up at the airport. Alone. You could see the disappointment in their eyes when I confirmed I was "Avaless". Grandparents are cute. I, apparently, am not. Went to Caffe Posto on the way home to waste a few minutes (Ava was napping). My father said he was "surprised" I could have Splenda in my iced tea. First urge to retell the "rules" of post gastric bypass life is held at bay. Dropped my parents off at home. Got them settled. Went back to work. Ava woke up. Put on a fashion show.

WEDNESDAY - Gampa Amo had his first "potty" experience with a 2 3/4-year-old girl. He did quite well and has been Ava's favorite potty-partner ever since. Insert my sigh of relief at having a few less daily trips to the bathroom with the Princess of "Will I or Won't I Go" here.

Gamma made Ava an outfit that she had to make a few fitting-tweaks too. Aunt Joyell is in Pennsyvlania reading this, jealous as hell that Gamma has someone new to try and dress (smile).
Gamma and Gampa have their first "I prefer to be 95% (or more) naked when you I'm read to" experience. They don't seem to mind. Ava asks Gampa if he wants to take his shirt off. We all answer an emphatic "no" on his behalf (and our own).

THURSDAY - Rice Krispie Eggs were made. They are like Rice Krispie Treats - only shaped like eggs and covered in chocolate, frosting and sprinkles (because regular Rice Krispie Treats are just not sweet (or messy) enough. I realize my parents are "those" Grandparents who delight in hopping the kid up on sugar and then washing their hands of the energy burst that follows. I can't wait to be a grandparent!

FRIDAY - I took the day off (which means I only worked from 6:45 AM - 11:30 AM (client presentation)) and came home early. We putzed around for a good part of the afternoon. We went to the indoor "playland" at McDonald's to let Ava run off some energy (the ground was wet at the playground). That place gave me fits. 20 screaming, running, snot dripping kids. 20 mothers just happy to have two mintues of peace and quiet. Let me say this again here - if you have ever made any assumptions about how difficult it might be to be a stay at home Mom - double those expectations and add a few more ounces of credit. These women work. HARD! I respect them. I admire them. I don't envy them.

We took Ava home. Gave her a nap and then headed over to Gramma and Grampa Terry's for dinner - the girls enjoyed mashed potato beaters . . .

. . . my Other Mother's birthday celebration (I won't say how old she is but she's one year short of being eligible for many senior discounts and 11 years away from full social security benefits). Happy Birthday, Mom. I love you . . . . . . and for some egg dipping/glittering/stickering/foiling/smashing/dyeing MADNESS! All the kids (even those of us in our 30s) got involved! Joy's Grandma Timmermeyer (Great Mo Mo) is in town for Easter so we enjoyed seeing her too (and hope to see a lot more of her as the weekend progresses).
I can't believe we're already more than 1/3 of the way through this visit. MUCH more fun to have. The time goes by sooooo quickly.

No comments: