Monday, February 2, 2009

Ugly Hooters . . .

DJ, Stephanie and Lexy invited us to their Super Bowl party yesterday. We went and had a great time (it was nice to spend the evening with family and to celebrate Dad Terry's 55th birthday). I don't care about sports but I know that Super Bowls - like Thanksgiving - is mainly about food so I knew I would be okay. I planned to have a little fun with my eating but I was not expecting, when we loaded in to the car yesterday to head over that way, how wrong the evening would go for me.

I got there and fell in love with the huge container of 50 Hooters wings that was in the middle of the table full of food.

In the two hours I we were at the party, I ate nine wings. NINE of them. It was, unquestionably, the most absurdly over-the-top eating I've done since my surgery almost two years ago.

I knew I would regret looking at the nutrtional information for my indulgence. I did not expect to regret it this much. Nearly 1,800 calories (well more than the calories I get in the typical full day) and 125 GRAMS OF FAT.

Anyone who reads my blog and thinks I am full of crap or that I can't possibly have the discipline I claim to have or to take my life after surgery as seriously as I say I do should know this . . . I know that I can occassionally indulge and "treat" myself. I know that one evening of junk food does not 260 pounds regain. I am aware that I don't need to beat myself up over this. I'm also aware that - for me - food is very slippery slope that I can't risk falling down.

Because of that . . . NO more Hooters. Never again. I mean "never" . . . as in not for at least another year.

2 comments:

TJK said...

Remember this Sean, next time you're in the path of temptation. No one goes to Hooters just for the wings. That's just what guys say so they can stare at the girls.

Sean C. Amore said...

The good news is that - in my case - the "girls" I stared at were my wife, daughter, niece, sister-in-law and mother-in-law (all of whom are lovely, I might add). Now my father-in-law (who picked up the wings . . .) different story. But it was his birthday. We'll cut him some slack (smile)!