Friday, February 20, 2009

Facebook . . .

So, I sort of reluctantly joined Facebook a month or so ago.  I had, in the interest of full disclosure, been "on" Facebook for a few months prior to that but I was there as my mother.  I was doing a little research on how the 60+ set use and get used on social networking platforms (always the PR professional (smile)) and I was getting requests from people that wanted to chat with my mother about her quilts and her other two sons and what not and I figured it was time to come clean.

I joined unsure of the "value" in really getting on Facebook (I am a tireless advocate for social media and social networking for my clients but - like any good professional I am more of a "do as I say not as I do" kind of guy from time to time.  In the meantime - I've come to LOVE Facebook.

Who knew Phoebe and Ray were pregnant?  Not me.
Who knew that KER was shacking up with a guy?  Not this guy.
Who knew that people would say things like "It's complicated" on their relationship status and not expect me to ask what that means?  Color this person confused.
Who knew that some of the kids I went to high school with, including a girl I had a crush on, would turn out to be gay (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with that)?  You do learn something new every day.
Who knew that when you updated your status that everyone in your network got to see your changed status?  Consider me "clued in" by now.  

Anywho . . . 

I've gotten up to almost 150 "friends" on Facebook - which is sort of odd to me . . . but in a good way.  People I went to high school with.  Friends from college.  Former coworkers from my DC and IBM days.  I've even gotten requests from people that I largely lost contact with in the late 80s.  

What is odd to me is that everyone comments almost immediately (if they send actual notes - I suspect most people are just gathering Facebook "friends" like they are trinkets or like they are some sort of contest for who can die with the most friends (and I am okay with that mentality, for the record) about my general appearance and almost everyone points out that it has been too long since we last spoke/connected/communicated.  I find myself wanting to comment on people's appearance since they almost all comment on my weight and general appearance but I just don't know what to say . . . I'm very bad at taking and paying compliments.  This is a known problem that I suffer with/from.  

I, of course, take pause and try to remember the last time I saw these people.  What my approximate weight was.  How generally miserable with myself I was at the time of our last interaction and how deep I have to dig to get them caught up with my life in the meantime.

Needless to say, Facebook has become a total "time suck" for me.  I find myself logging on first thing in the morning (in the 5:00 hour some days) and in the evening and over the weekend.  I try to actually look at my newly (re)found friends profiles and I try to actually figure out what they have been up to since our lives went their respective ways.  

All this attention to the computer makes Wifey borderline insane BUT, most days, it is just too interesting for me to turn away.

I'm "pro" Facebook.  I can't get enough . . . just like any other good train wreck.

2 comments:

This Show said...

This is Thomas J. Kelly. Get me the Police.

I couldn't say that on Facebook for fear the police would see it.

Sean C. Amore said...

"Hello?! Is this the Police?!"