Monday, January 5, 2009

Hard to Say . . .

It is hard to say for sure, given his general demeanor and sense of humor but the usually jovial Ricky Gervais apparently is not a big fan of gastric bypass or the obese looking for ways to deal with their weight outside of going for "a run."

You clearly know my feelings on people who criticize gastric bypass surgery (and those that have it) and try to boil obesity down to nothing more than lazy people who don't want to do anything about their weight and/or that make gastric bypass look like some "easy fix" to the problem to begin with but - I am a little shocked that - if sincere - Gervais, himself not always exactly a "stick-of-a-man" (his weight has gone up and down, like the rest of us) having such tough words for the obese. Unless, as I wonder he might have been, he was kidding.

"I laugh about being fat, but I should be ashamed. I should walk down the street and have people shouting 'Fatty!'. That's what I want, to get me out of it. I get up in the morning, look in the mirror, and say to myself, 'Oh, you f---ing fat b-----d'," he jokes!

Either way - I still love Ricky and The Office, Extras and Ricky's Podcast!

2 comments:

Larraine said...

People like Ricky are the kind that don't have a real weight issue. As my surgeon explained, obesity is a disease. Some people have it, some don't. Some people can simply walk away from food. Lucky them. It's not just self discipline, but luck. My husband and I are both obese. Our son is not. Part of it is we taught him the good eating habits we didn't have. However part of it is he is lucky enough to take after his two slim grandfathers. He has to watch his weight, but not seriously. I know how hard it is. Surgery is certainly NOT the easy way out.

This Show said...

Maybe while lashing out at the world, he was talking about himself?

Kind of like how I make fun of people who like . . . ok fill in the blank. I know the comments have to be clean.

Play mad libs on your own.