Friday, March 7, 2008

New iTunes Playlist . . .

Joy was a model in a fashion show last night and then went to check out Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood with her mother and sister so I got some one on one time with my curly-girly (Ava).

Once I got her down for the night, I set up Lost to DVR and decided to play with my iTunes for the first time in a while and set up a new playlist for the gym and car.

Here are the sounds that will be destroying my hearing in the very near future . . .

1 - Better Together, Jack Johnson. I love Jack Johnson. I read a review of his latest album the other day and he likes to write songs that he, his wife and his children will all like. There is something about that sensibility that I dig.

2 - The Reason, Hoobastank. When Joy and I first got engaged, we had some of the best and worst times we've ever had. This song was at its highest popularity and, to this day, when I hear it - I am reminded of how much of an impact her saying "yes" had on my life. And by "yes" I mean her agreeing to meet me for the first time a full year before I proposed.

3 - Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. This song is apparently really popular right now because of American Idol. I've always liked the song and this version is one of my favorites. What's not to like? Really?!

4 - Mansard Roof, Vampire Weekend. My favorite new musical obsession, Vampire Weekend are a group of guys that met at Columbia and who live in Brooklyn but are somehow fixated on Afri-Pop and the Massachusetts culture. Great CD but this is my favorite song. CLOSE second is Oxford Comma.

5 - Apologize, Timbaland featuring OneRepublic. I'm not going to lie - I love Timbaland almost as much as I love Missy Elliott. He's a LITTLE over extended lately but this is one of my favorite songs from the last year that he put his "fingerprint" on.

6 - Lip Gloss, Lil Mama . An ode to bathtime with Ava. She loves this song and I love her. Hence, I love this song. If I remember the math right.

7 - Come To Me (Peace), Mary J. Blige. I prattled about this song a week or so ago. No more to say at this time.

8 - Better, Regina Spektor. I love Regina Spektor - Joy hates her. Not sure why that is (we generally agree on music (generally)). This is one of my favorite Regina Spektor songs and it was popular at about this time last year . . . it was a pre surgery anthem for me.

9 - If Only, KT Tunstall. A carry over from my first iTunes playlist I shared with you here. I just really like this song. A lot.

10 - Stonger, Kanye West. Kanye, Kanye, Kanye. Your ego is slightly larger than mine but your talent looms over mine with the intesity of the Earth blocking its moon. I do love to hear you opine about how great you are though. Keep talking, I'll keep listening.

11 - I'm No Good, Amy Winehouse. I generally root for the underdog - especially when the underdog is this immensely talented. I've never been addicted to drugs but I've been hooked on food almost my entire life. If I put out an album this good but couldn't put down the Oreos, I would expect to win all those Grammy's too. A lot of people prefer Rehab off her SECOND (some Winehouse trivia for you) album but, for me, I'm No Good is GREAT.

12 - Transformer, Gnarls Barkley. Crazy must have been played 9,000,000 times the summer Ava was born. On the radio. In my car. In my head. In the shower. This song was not one I particularly cared for off the firts album but, in the last year, it has seemed to take on more meaning for me. Things keep changing for me and I keep "transforming" to keep up and - as the song points out - if they change again, I'll just keep on transforming. I'm much more flexible than I used to be.

13 - Dancing on the Ceiling, Lionel Richie. Lionel, for me, means COLLEGE. No, I didn't go to school in the mid-80s (it was the late-90s, truth be told) but my friends and I all owned and LOVED his greatest hits CD. We would get drunk, sing our lungs out to his classics and then wander off to find lunch (get it - it is a drinking in the morning joke (we'll pretend I'm "joking")). I used to always think about how great it would be to be light enough to dance on the ceiling (in my fat mind, gravity escaped you lithe folk). I am hoping to feel the freedom of inverted boogeying within the year.

14 - Thunder, Nuttin' But Stringz. This is another Ava find. They are featured on her beloved Noggin network quite regularly and I love how Ava and Joy will just start clapping and dancing when the strings kick in during a rap "jam." For me the music is more about very different things (classical music and urban youth) coming together to make something unexpected and beautiful. Check out this video. You'll be tapping your foot by the end - and trying to figure out if it is too late for you to learn to play the violin (experts say your best window to start is between 3 and 8 years old, FYI).

15 - Shimmy Shimmy Ya, O.D.B. Go rent Knocked Up. Put it in. Hit play. Enjoy the opening sequence. Tell 'em I sent you.

16 - This Grudge, Alanis Morissette. Here's another one of my all time favorites. Oh, Alanis. Your broken heart and your hope and your charms. How do I shake thee? I won't be doing it any time soon (her new album comes out in May) but I hold a grudge for how well I can relate to your life (should not be possible) or your music at least.

17 - Have You Seen My Love, Barenaked Ladies. I fell in love with BNL as a freshman in college (thanks, Molly Scott). It was a good six or eight years before I could look back and wonder why the rest of the world didn't also fall in love. I've seen these guys in concert four times (twice with my friend Casey) and I think every one should see them at least once. They do a thing at the end of each concert that will blow your mind. Pop-song-medley. Go check it out. Anywho, this song makes me happy. It reminds me of my high school friends despite the fact that it didn't come out until closer to my 10-year reunion.

18 - The Move, The Beastie Boys. I go in and out on the Boys. This CD was very popular during the summer of 1998. I was first living in DC and I had lost about 30 pounds during my spring semester and gained them all back (and then some) during that very, very hot summer. My friend Michael and I moved in to an apartment in South East DC and I think of that apartment, starting graduate school and how hopeful I was for "adult life" when I hear this song. I'm still hopeful for adult life, for the record (no quotes needed at this point).

19 - Fallin', De La Soul and Teenage Fan Club. This is my favorite song of one of my favorite CDs from my youth (the soundtrack to the questionable movie Judgement Night). This song makes me think of GUYK and his graduation gift (a hand-me-down Lincoln Towncar) and Joey Weeks and Brian Sincerbeaux and Tristan Ashcroft and driving from graduation party to graduation party without a care in the world. I miss you boys!

20 - Powerless (Say What You Want), Nelly Furtado. Joy loves Nelly. I'm "okay" with her. I love this song though. Good for your warm-down at the gym. Good for days when you just want to tell the world to stick it (a perfect add-on to the chorus would be "I'm rubber, you're glue, bounces off me and sticks to you!").

No comments: