Monday, January 7, 2008

And Now, a Word From Wifey . . .

Last time she posted here, at least a dozen people e-mailed me or commented to me in person on how good it was to hear from Joy through the blog. I asked her to blog again and, well, a few months later (she’s a lot more busy with real stuff and she's far more shy than I am) she’s back and she's chosen to share the details of a recent moment we shared at the shopping mall. She writes . . .

I make a conscious effort to be truly “present” in my day-to-day life and not just go through the motions ever since the universe sent me a loud reminder of just how short life is.

If you pay attention, you’ll be surprised at just how beautifully mundane every day life is. For example, a recent shopping trip to JC Penney’s truly took my breath away.

You wouldn’t think taking advantage of an after-Christmas sale could bring you to tears. It was brief, but I’m so thankful I was there to share it. Sean was trying on clothes and I was playing gofer – running back and forth for smaller sizes and different cuts, and as I was turning I caught it . . . he was looking in the mirror at himself and he smiled.

He must have seen me watching him out of the corner of his eye, because he turned to look at me and we both just started to cry.

“This looks . . . nice,” he said. I nodded in agreement and mouthed “I’m proud of you” through the tears.

I never thought I’d see that day. I never thought he’d see himself the way I see him, the way the outside world sees him now.

I’m not saying that he suddenly has this super positive self-image and that 30 plus years of struggle and self-image issues have suddenly melted away.

I’m just saying for that moment he didn’t look in the mirror and hate the man that stared back. In that moment he was “normal.”

No comments: