Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Calorie Counting and Other Annoying Things I Vowed I Would Never Do . . .

I've developed a whole new "twitch" in my growing list of weird, obsessive behavoirs. I count the calories of those around me. I know that sounds/seems weird but it is a game that - for me - has a point.

The simple truth is that very few people in my can/do/would ever eat the amount of food that I used to eat in the average day/meal/sitting/mouthful BUT, since my surgery, most people around me do eat more than I do.

The point of my counting is not, to be clear, to embarass or otherwise criticize those around me (I never share the calorie counts with anyone - even if caught crunching numbers in my head) but it is more to educate myself on how I used to eat and how I can and can NOT eat in the future (as my life returns to "normal" and the newness of my diet wears off, etc. - there are going to be certain mistakes I make and foods I start eating again, etc. - no doubt).

Here is the point . . . calories count up QUICKLY in this world. Before you know it - you're wayyyyyy over whatever amount of calories you wanted to eat. Case in point . . .

We went to Starbucks in Fort Worth before our meeting with our client yesterday. Here is what everyone ate and the calories they consumed (NOTE - I ballparked the calories for each and then did the research to confirm it - in all five cases, I was within a 20% up or down on all estimates). For extra fun - try to guess which one of the following is my order . . .

1 - Venti Peppermint-Mocha Frapaccino with Whipped Cream and Two Frosted Cut-Out Cookies . . . 1600 calories, 50 grams of fat and 400 grams of sugar.

2 - Venti Caramel Macchiato and the Fruit and Cheese Plate . . . 740 calories, 33 grams of fat and 65 grams of sugar.

3 - Tall Nonfat Caramel Latte with Sugar-Free Syrup and a Plain Bagel with Cream Cheese . . . 590 calories, 11 grams of fat and 19 grams of sugar (note the coffee only had 100 calories, no fat and 5 grams of sugar).

4 - Grande Nonfat Steamer with Sugar-Free Cinnamon Dolce Syrup . . . 180 calories, no fat but 26 grams of protein and 26 grams of sugar (all lactose from the milk).

5 - Hot Chocolate with Whole Milk, Peppermint Syrup and Whipped Cream and Two Slices of Pumpkin Loaf . . . 1300 calories, 46 grams of fat, 168 grams of sugar

Okay, so I had the milk. No real surprise, I guess. And it was DELICIOUS. My new favorite guilty-pleasure. AND, with about 1/4 of my suggested daily calories but 1/3 of my suggested daily protein - I can totally justify it!

In the meantime, I won't even tell you how many calories everyone had at dinner as I ate my lamb skewer appetizer (and left most of it on the plate). For some real fun . . . check out this great directory of food nutrition for just about any fast food or casual sit down chain restaurant you can think of. Happy hunting for the good stuff!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Wow, Sean, person #1 had a day's worth of calories in that one "Snack."

I never get those fancy drinks - they're a minimum of 500 calories apiece! I'll stick with my skim latte!

Merry Christmas, friend! Miss ya!