Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Dillon's v. Stop and Shop . . .

One of my great frustrations of life post surgery, as I've talked about here several times, is that I find trying new foods to be very frustrating and intimidating so, I choose to just stick to a very limited arsenal of foods.

That was all fine and dandy in Connecticut. I was used to my local Stop and Shops and the layout of the stores and the offerings they carried and life was good. I enjoyed grocery shopping and it took very little time for me to zip through the store gathering foodstuffs for Joy, Ava and me wit-da-quickness.

Now we're here in Wichita. No more Stop and Shops. No more Caraluzzi's. Here in Wichita, we food shop at Dillon's - part of the Kroger grocery empire.

Here is the problem with Dillon's . . . it is simply NOT Stop and Shop. It is no better. It is no worse. It is just not what I'm used to. The reality is that foods here and foods there are not the same.

The Bread Aisle . . .
You can not, for instance, get Thomas' Multi Grain Light English Muffins here. You can not get ANY Thomas' English Muffins here. You just can't. They don't sell them. You also can not get, for some very, very strange reason, any Whole Wheat Pitas that don't already come cut in half . . . Joy and I had enjoyed pita-pizza night . . . it is hard to do that on half pitas.

ON THE OTHER HAND . . .

The Meat Aisle . . .
While Chiken Gizzards are readily available here (not so much in Connecticut, as I remember) . . . you can also get a far wider variety of Chicken and Turkey products. Let me tell you how much I love Honeysuckle White! I mean absolute geniuses over there . . . they chop up turkeys and chickens to make delights like you can't IMAGINE until you find yourself in the meat aisle of a Dillon's on a Sunday night.

I'm sure I will adjust to my grocery-shopping life here in Kansas, as I'm adjusting to the rest of life here but - for now - my grocery trips are about 90 minutes long (up 200% from the 45 minute runs I used to make) and I am having to find all new foods and ways to get my protein and my calories.

No comments: