Friday, August 17, 2007

In a New York Minute . . .


I was in "the" city (that's New York City for the cynics, like me, who are not sure that the island of Manhattan is the end-all and be-all of life surrounding by water and 6,500,000 other people) yesterday for work. I drive in about once a month for work. I lived in Washington, DC for 7 years and worked in DC for over 8 years before moving north with my wife. I like "city life." I like how things are close and easy and you can walk everywhere and you can just sort of disappear in to the crowd.


One of the things I USED to love about my trips in to the city is the food. Restaurants, coffee shops, snack shops, street carts, etc. etc. etc. You name it - it is within a block of where ever you are. I have never been to a place where that is more true that New York City (1 point for Manhattan - I'm still not sold). You could eat just about anything you wanted to eat in a short, New York minute.


SINCE my surgery - it is different. The food is still there but I find it more difficult to eat in the city. I don't have enough trust in the world yet to eat what I "think" is healthy based on what I "think" is in the food. Ingredients change, tastes change and I never really knew what was in most of my favorite Indian foods to begin with, for instance.


Thank GOD for protein bars and skim milk. I was able to manage breakfast, lunch and a snack (some triscuits and some reduced fat cheese) with no issues and no fear.


One of these days I will be confident enough to go in to a place, as enough questions to know what I'm ordering and what is in it and resume my love affair with the foods of "the" city but - for now - I'll keep playing it safe. One step at a time. One day at a time.


No comments: